May 19, 2014

[A-P Originals] Subjective reviews

Note: This is an unaltered blog originally written for Anime-Planet. Originally published in July 23rd, 2011.
The information/opinions may or may not be outdated and nothing has been edited compared to the original version.
_________________________________________________________________________________

We all know that reviews are a balance of opinions and facts - they're not 100% objective or 100% subjective. I usually try to stay on objective side whenever I'm writing a review but I'll inevitably going to have an opinion that some people won't agree with. I am very open-minded for other people views as long as they use facts to back up their opinions.

However there are some people that just give anime a horrible or excellent score based on their own opinion.

EXAMPLE: Highschool of the Dead review (based on 2 out of 12 episodes watched)

It had a great plot and I loved the style and the idea but...

WAY TO PERVY! At least for me I don't want to have to see up a girls skirt or boobs jigle for no reason what so ever. Big turn off for me.

Scores were...

  • Story 8/10
  • Animation 9/10
  • Sound 7/10
  • Characters 4/10
  • Overall 3/10

Ok, I'll admit that all scores except Overall were reasonable but Overall score 3? Are you kidding me? Yes, I do understand that you personally didn't like the ecchi aspect of that anime (even though its genre tags clearly say ecchi) and you dropped it because of it but the actual anime itself does not deserve 3. Some people might even like ecchi or not care about ecchi at all (like me) so the anime gets overall low score purely based on your own taste.

EXAMPLE 2: Neon Genesis Evangelion - The End of Evangelion review (based on full movie watched)

EPICNESS ANIMATED, that's the only way you have to describe such an opera. I liked this movie as hell and even if i was one of the few who liked the end of the serie i still think the one showed in this movie is the true end of evangelion plot.

Scores were...

  • Story N/A
  • Animation N/A
  • Sound N/A
  • Characters N/A
  • Overall 10/10

I consider it to be an opinion and not a review. It gets 10 out of 10 just because the author loved it. That's it.
I tend to avoid to review anime that I personally love or hate, for example, I love Death Note and I've gave it 5/5 stars but if I'd review it I would not give 10/10 because it has flaws and is by no means perfect. I try to review anime based on facts and not my personal preference.

No comments:

Post a Comment